It is never easy to resist the temptation of delicious canapes. Whether it is savory or sweet, attractively assembled and presented canapes lift the mood of cocktail parties, picnics, meetings and even informal luncheons.
The eggplant and mushroom canape recipe given here is a perfect foil for such occasions. This delectable finger food is a fantastic appetizer, but can also be served as a scrumptious snack. Packed with toothsome shiitake mushrooms and Japanese seasonal favorite, egg plants, this starter can surely tickle the taste-buds. The earthy flavors of vegetables and mushrooms are enriched by the Japanese seasoning of miso and mirin. The cooking technique of this recipe is also very versatile, and can be done by grilling, broiling, roasting or stove top method.
Ingredients for eggplant and mushroom canape from Evoma:
- 200 gram shiitake mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- 2 small eggplants, cut into equal slices
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp miso
- 2 tbsp mirin
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp finely minced garlic
- Salt and pepper to taste
Directions to prepare eggplant and mushroom canape from Evoma:
- Lightly sprinkle the eggplant slices with salt and let it stand for at least 15-30 minutes so that the water from eggplants will come out, reducing the bitterness. Squeeze out the excess water and set aside.
- Marinate the mushrooms in a mix of minced garlic, 1 tbsp olive oil, pepper (as your preference) and salt. Grill the mushrooms on medium high heat for about 10 minutes (until golden brown), turning over once. Transfer to a plate.
- Make a marinade of miso, mirin, sugar and 1 tbsp of olive oil. Grill the egg plant slices on medium heat for 4 minutes, flip over and grill for another 4 minutes. Brush the marinade on the slices and grill for 4 minutes. Again turn the slices, brush with marinade and grill for another 4 minutes. Repeat the process until eggplants are cooked through and golden.
- Arrange the grilled eggplants on a serving dish, top with grilled mushrooms, garnish with fresh herbs and serve immediately.
Time consumed to prepare eggplant and mushroom canape:
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Experience the culinary delights of Japan at OJ, Bangalore! Click here to know more!